Wednesday 19 April 2017

Garden update: what I'm growing this year


As the days are getting longer and weather (slightly) warmer, my garden is starting to look promising. All my raised beds are now ready. Some things were planted last autumn, some this spring; some sown directly and some started indoors. Overall, the garden is still looking mostly bare, but every tiny little seedling feeds my imagination and gives me hope for a lush, green garden of Eden :-) 

So, here's what I'm growing this year!

Fruit:

- Red currant
- White currant
- Gooseberry
- Strawberries
- Wild strawberries (from seed)
- Apples
- Pears
- Summer raspberries
- Autumn raspberries
- Chinese kiwi
- Aronia
- Juneberry
- Japanese quince
- Goji berry

Most of these are very young plants and I am not expecting a lot of fruit (if any) from them this year. But you gotta start somewhere!



Veggies:

- Aubergine
- Beetroot
- Broad beans
- Bush beans
- Butternut squash
- Carrot
- Chard
- Chilli peppers
- Corn
- Courgette
- Garlic
- Jerusalem artichoke
- Kale
- Lettuce
- Onions
- Potatoes
- Radish
- Rhubarb
- Rocket
- Runner beans
- Tomatoes

With veggies it's a lot of trial & error, really. I expect to lose some to slugs or other pests, diseases or frost. I expect not to get great germination rate with every single one of them. But I am really looking forward to learning what works for me and what doesn't!




Herbs:

- Basil
- Bay tree
- Caraway
- Catnip
- Chives
- Coriander
- Dill
- Hyssop
- Lemon balm
- Lavender
- Lovage
- Lungwort
- Marjoram
- Mint
- Nasturtium
- Nigella
- Oregano
- Parsley
- Rosemary
- Rue
- Sage

Apart from these, I seem to have a lot of coltsfoot growing in my garden - it might be a weed but its leaves are supposed to be good for sore throat, so I'm planning to collect and dry some this summer.









No comments:

Post a Comment