Saturday 11 February 2017

Seeds



Spring is still far away, but it doesn't stop me getting excited about my little seed collection. We recently visited my parents and I received a few seed packets from my mum; I have also bought some myself. It's not a huge selection as I don't want to get overwhelmed; besides I only have so much space to work with.

I have (more than pictured above):

Carrots (2 varieties)
Chard
Lemon balm
Wild strawberries
Caraway
Nigella
Parsley (collected from my mum's own plants last year)
Peppers (mix of sweet and hot)
Aubergine
Lovage
Corn
Bush beans
Chives
Dill
Butternut squash
Courgette
Kale
Foxgloves
Daisies
Tomatoes

Some of them can be sown indoors right now in February, which I did this morning. I also ordered broadbean seeds, but they haven't arrived yet - I think I will plant half of them indoors and half directly in the raised bed and see what happens. 


This is my first year of gardening and I still have loads to learn; being impatient doesn't help, so I try to control myself. I wish I could sow everything already! Here in Scotland though the last frost can appear as late as mid-May, so I need to be careful.

I already have a fair amount of things growing in the garden that I have planted since autumn; my rhubarb is doing exceptionally well and is a pleasure to watch. The garlic, onions and strawberries look good; all the fruit bushes and trees on the other hand still look dead so I have no idea how they are doing. Time will tell!

No comments:

Post a Comment